4818. Edward Starbuck

"STARBUCK, *(4818) EDWARD, Dover 1640, came from Derbysh. as is said, m. Eunice or (4819) Catharine Reynolds, said to be from Wales, had s. (4819iii) Nathaniel, b. 1636, and (4819v) Jethro, ds. (4819i) Sarah, (2409) Abigail, and (4819vi) Esther, beside (4819ii) Dorcas, wh. went to Nantucket, and m. (4819ii[1]) William Gayer; was Elder of the ch. rep. 1643, and rem. with his ch. 1660, aft. hav. been prosecut. for his relig. 1648, as a Bapt. and in short course bec. a [[vol. 4, p. 172]] Quaker. He was long happy at the new sett. in wh. he was the chief promoter, a. 1660, of Nantucket, and d. by one report, 12 June 1690, in 86th yr. or by ano. with the same num. interchang. 4 Feb. 1691, aged 86.

"Sarah m. at D. first (4819i[1]) William Story, wh. d. a. 1658; next (4826) Joseph Austin, wh. d. a. 1663; and, third, m. as his sec. w. (4819i[3]) Humphrey Varney; Abigail m. (2408) Peter Coffin; and his youngest d. Esther m. Humphrey Varney."

-- James Savage, op. cit.

4819. Katherine Reynolds

Many show an additional daughter of (4818) Edward, namely, Susanna Starbuck who was presumed to be the wife of first James Heard, then of Richard Otis. That woman was actually Shuah Conley, daughter of Abraham:

"...The Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire by Sybil Noyes et al, 1988 Pg. 321 states that “James Heard married by 1661 Shuah Starbuck (Edward)”. However, in the very worthwhile genealogy “Descendants of Edward Small” by L.A.W. Underhill 1934 Pg. 465, we see that the wife of James Heard was Shuah Conley. Finally, in the NEHGR V70 Pg. 185, we find a brief paragraph relating to Kittery and Berwich, Me. Land Grants wherein “May 6,1702, to John Heard confirmation of all land granted to his grandfather Abraham Conley..."

Many websites also show the husband of (4819vi) Esther Starbuck as (4861ii[3][2]) Lieut. Wm. Furber. This, apparently, is also false:

"Alas and alack. Esther comes up a cropper. None of the earliest genealogies of Dover NH or New England in general mentions her. An early source claimed she was "possibly" wife of William & this got passed on as a fact."

"Starbuck Lineage Posted by: Rebecca McMurray (ID *****1724) Date: March 13, 2004 at 21:28:07
In Reply to: Starbuck Lineage by Charles Clinton Tharp of 772

"This is what I've found out about (4818) Edward Starbuck. You may have this source... it's loaded. Also has Gayers, Bulls...


Born: 1604/5 in Derbyshire, England
Died: 4 Dec 1690 at Nantucket age 86
Parents: (9636) Edward Starbuck -
Marriage: to (4819) Katherine Reynolds,

  • b. abt 1605 in Wales,
  • d. bet 1678 and 1690 at Dover, MA. [sic]
  • Dau of (9638) Robert Reynolds. [sic]
    Married: 1630 England

    "Note: Edward migrated to America about 1635, settling at Dover. He was representative in the General Court in 1643 and 1646, was an Elder in the church and in other ways enjoyed the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. His influence over the Indians was so great that if at any time a suspicion or alarm arose among the early settlers, he was always in requisition to explain the apparent cause thereof, and to suggest a palliation for their rude and inexplicable action, which served to allay the fears of the more timid. There is a tradition that at one time an uprising among the Indians seemed imminent. They appeared to be gathering in hostile groups and as they greatly outnumbered the whites, it was a very serious affair. In this juncture, Edward Starbuck went unhesitatingly among them and soon succeeded in quieting them. The deed of Coatue to him by the Sachems as a "free and voluntary" gift shows their esteem for him. Tradition says that Edward Starbuck was a man of commanding presence."


    " (4819) Katherine Starbuck is known through her signing with her husband on two deeds. She signed with him in May or July 1653 when they sold land to their son-in-law (2408) Peter Coffin . Later in 1659, (4818) Edward and Katherine deeded land to Mr. Broughton, which excepted the house and land on the Newichawannock River which belonged to "Goodwife Starbuck" as "being formerly given wife's right.

    "Some time during his stay in Dover, Edward came under the influence of the Anabaptists. On 18 Oct 1648, he was charged with refusing to join with the established church in the rite of baptism. There is some question if these religious differences played a part over the next few years in Edward's decision to move his family from Dover. Whatever the reason, Edward gave all his property in Dover to his son-in-law, Peter Coffin on 9 Mar 1659/60, and moved himself and his family, except for Abigail and Sarah who had already married, to Nantucket. His name appears there on the earliest Indian deed in 1660,

    "There is no record of Katherine's death. Some sources assume that she died in Dover prior to the move to Nantucket, however, Noyes, Libbey and Davis state that she was living 19 June 1678 (without citing a source for this date). It is probable that she had died by 1685 when Edward alone deeded to son Nathaniel."


    Nothing is known of the parentage of (4818) Edward Starbuck wife (4819) Katherine /Eunice (Reynolds). Claims that she was the daughter of a Robert or William Reynolds, and somehow descended from (37368) Christopher R. of Kent, are without basis and improbable ("Reynolds" is a common name throughout the British Isles, and there is no compelling reason to associate the two families with each other). All we know of her is Savage's statement that she was "said to be" from Wales -- which in itself presents a question of how and where Edward (prob. of Derbyshire) married her before coming to America.


    9636. Edward Starbuck

    9637. unknown




    The bloodiest war in America's history, on a per capita basis, took place in New England in 1675. The war began near the Wampanoag headquarters at Mount Hope, in what is now Bristol, Rhode Island. James Reynolds and his wife Deborah were living in what is now Kingston, RI on 24 June 1675, when the Indians went on a rampage. The Reynoldses found refuge in the blockhouse near Wickford, but their oldest son James was shot and killed while passing through a swamp. When troops arrived the next day, the bodies of nine colonists were found, burned, scalped and mutilated by the Indians.

    The Nipmuck, of what is now central Massachusetts, joined with the Wampanoags, who were under the leadership of Metacom, known to the settlers as "King Philip". On 3 Aug., 1675, the authorities in Boston sent a mission of twenty men, headed by Captains Edward Hutchinson and Thomas Wheeler, to make peace with the Nipmucks. They were ambushed outside Brookfield, MA. The seventeen survivors escaped to warn the townspeople, and they were saved by garrisoning themselves in the tavern of Sergeant Ayres. "Here in four rooms, with scanty food, with water which should quench their thirst being used to put out fires, with no medical aid or sanitary conveniences, eighty-two men, women, and children withstood for three days the siege of several hundred Indians, protected only by the wooden walls, feather beds, and a few logs. They were finally relieved by a detachment from Boston. After the survivors left the town, the Indians burned the tavern, which was the only remaining building." (4959ii) Samuel Warner's house was burned down during this attack.

    In September, Metacom's forces attacked Deerfield, MA, causing the town to be abandoned. While on the way to retrieve grain from the town, a company of English soldiers were ambushed at a place called "Bloody Brook". Of the 98 soldiers and teamsters attacked, only seven survived. Among the dead was (4945v) Joseph Gillett.

    One of the biggest fears of the English was that the powerful Narragansett tribe if Rhode Island might soon enter the war. The Narragansetts had lived peacefully with the followers of Roger Williams, but they gave refuge to the Wampanoag women and children, freeing up the warriors to attack the settlers. The colonists had demanded that the Narragansetts turn over the Wampanoags, but their refusal to do so made war inevitavle. In December, a thousand soldiers from Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth and Connecticut marched against their main fort in southern Rhode Island, led by (9577iii[2]a) Gov. Josiah Winslow and Benjamin Church. They encountered the enemy during a blizzard.

    The fort was built upon a piece of land that stood above the swamp and was surrounded by a triple palisade of logs twelve feet high. It was made more formidable by small block houses at intervals above the palisade. Inside was the main village housing about 3,000 men, women and children. After being fired upon by a small band of Indians, Massachusetts men pursued them, storming the fort through an unfinished section of the palisade. After being driven back, they were reinforced by the Plymouth and Connecticut men, and they attacked the fort anew. Twenty-eight colonists were killed, some, such as (4821iv) Capt. Joseph Gardner, by friendly fire, and 200 were wounded. The Narragansetts and Wampanoags lost over 500 killed, many of them women and children who died when their wigwams were put to the torch. Hundreds more starved because their provisions for the winter were burned in the battle.

    New London Co., CT raised a company of seventy men under Capt. John Mason of Norwich and Capt. George Dennison of Stonington. Capt. John Gallup joined them as the head of the Mohegans, a band of friendly Indians. These troops formed a union with those of other colonies and were engaged in the Swamp Fight. Gallup perished in the assault on the fort. (4948) Edward Culver of New London Co., a scout who had enlisted the aid of the Mohegans during the earlier Pequot Wars, served on this mission at age 75, along with his sons (4949iii) Samuel, (4949iv) Joseph, (4949viii) Edward and (4949ix) Ephraim.

    "On 3 March 1676, ...(4947ii) Lt. Thomas Barber ...was instrumental in saving the Simsbury residents, according to an old tradition. Some of Philip's Wampanoag Indians threatened to attack the town. Thomas `ascended the roof of his house, in the place called Hopmeadow, and beat an alarm on his drum. The wind being favorable, the alarm was heard in Windsor, some seven or eight miles Off'. The Windsor militia, hearing the alarm, quickly assembled, rushed to Simsbury and were able to evacuate [the people] safely...."


    King Philip burned and destroyed everything in Simsbury on 26 Mar. Three days later, the Narragansetts attacked Providence. Though Roger Williams pleaded for peace, they set fire to the town. Shortly thereafter, Canonchet, the Narragansett leader, was captured and shot.

    Altogether, some 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans lost their lives in the war. Thirteen towns were totally destroyed and abandoned; the Narragansetts were practically annihilated, and the Wampanoags were driven into Maine and Canada.



    = siblings

    Return to Generation Four